Our complaints policy
Clifford Smith & Buchanan is committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.
Our complaints procedure
If you have a complaint, please direct your letter to the firms “Client Care Manager”. You can write to the firms’ “Client Care Manager” at Client Care Manager, Clifford Smith & Buchanan, 79 to 81 Scotland Road, Nelson, BB9 7UY. Please write by first class post or recorded delivery..
What will happen next?
- Within three working days we will send you a letter acknowledging your complaint and asking you to confirm or explain any details. Your file(s) and any other documentation relevant to your complaint will be reviewed.
- Your complaint will be recorded in our central register and a file opened for your complaint.
- If it seems appropriate we will suggest a meeting at this stage. I would hope to be in a position to meet with you in this way no longer than 14 working days after first receiving your complaint. If you would prefer not to meet, or if we cannot arrange this within an agreeable timescale, I will write to you fully setting out my views on the situation and any redress that I would feel to be appropriate.
- Within three working days of any meeting we will write to you to confirm what took place and any suggestions that we have agreed.
- At this stage, if you are still not satisfied, please let me know. I will then review my decision again.
- We will let you know the result of the review within five working days of the end of the review. At this time we will write to you confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons.
7 If you are still not satisfied, you can then contact the Office for Legal Complaints about your complaint.
8 Ordinarily, a complainant cannot use the Legal Ombudsman unless the complainant has first used the firm’s internal complaints procedure. But a complainant can use the Legal Ombudsman if:
- The complaint has not been resolved to the complainant’s satisfaction within 8 weeks of first making the compliant to the firm;
- or an Ombudsman considers that there are exceptional reasons to consider the complaint sooner, or, without it having been made to the firm first;
- or where an Ombudsman considers that in house resolution is not possible due to irretrievable breakdown in the relationship between the firm and the complainant.
9 A complainant to the Legal Ombudsman must be one of the following:
- An individual;
- A micro-enterprise as defined in European Recommendation 2003/361/EC of 6 May 2003 (broadly, an enterprise with fewer than 10 staff and a turnover or balance sheet value not exceeding €2 million);
- A charity with an annual income less than £1 million;
- A club, association or society with an annual income less than £1 million;
- A trustee of a trust with a net asset value less than £1 million;
- or a personal representative or the residuary beneficiaries of an estate where a person with a complaint died before referring it to the Legal Ombudsman.
- If you are not, you should be aware that you can only obtain redress by using our Complaints Handling Procedure or by mediation or arbitration, or by taking action through the Courts.
10 Legal Ombudsman Contact Details
- Address: PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ
- Telephone: 0300 555 0333
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk
Clifford Smith & Buchanan Limited, Legal Department Tel 01282 693182, https://www.cs-b.co.uk
PLEASE NOTE A REASONABLE RESPONSE TIME FOR A REPLY TO YOUR EMAIL, LETTER OR PHONE CALL IS 5 WORKING DAYS.
BEFORE SENDING ANY FUNDS TO OUR FIRM YOU MUST RING TO CHECK OUR BANK DETAILS AND OBTAIN OUR AUTHORITY TO RECEIVE THE FUNDS FROM YOU.
GDPR rules are now in force! Please email if you require further information
IMPORTANT – this page and the information that it contains may be confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Access by the intended recipient only is authorised. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately on telephone number 01282 693182 (Nelson office) or 01282 860606 (Colne office) and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belong to Clifford Smith and Buchanan Solicitors Limited: the authors also assert the right to be identified as such and object to any misuse. SRA code of conduct rules can be accessed via the link here. The Directors in the company are Solicitors of the Supreme Court of Judicature in England & Wales. A list of Directors is available upon request. VAT Number 228 4987 64. Clifford Smith and Buchanan Solicitors are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Nelson Office: 622719 Colne Office: 623996